We embarked on a journey to study the book of Colossians, which is one of the four prison epistles by Apostle Paul in the Bible; the other three are Philippians, Ephesians and Philemon.
Addressed to Christians at Colosse, even though many of them were not direct converts of Paul, however Paul was concerned that the message of Grace may not be properly represented.
The concept of Grace was so alien such that most times in the early church it was preached as if it was conditional or a future reality
Colossians was written from the perspective that Christ’s work has already been accomplished. What we need to do is to now find out what we have and walk in it (Ephesians 2:10).
Grace in definition is unmerited, undeserved favour. There is this fear that if grace is preached the way it ought to be preached it will give people license to sin. The truth is that people have been sinning without license, whereas grace, if properly taught makes sin distasteful (Titus 2:12).
In Chapter 1, the primary reason for the letter is to affirm:
Filled with the knowledge of God’s will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding
The resulting effect:
- They will then walk worthy of the Lord and be fruitful. It is not good enough to be saved. Knowledge helps you to appropriate all the benefits (1Tim. 2:4, John 8:30-36, 2Peter 1:2-4)
- We have been delivered from the power of darkness and translated into a different kingdom, the kingdom of Christ. He did this by redeeming us with the blood of Christ. Redemption/Salvation is free but it came at high price. This causes to Give Thanks.
- In this kingdom Christ is the head of all (both visible and invisible and He is the firstborn. The head of the Church we are His body. If Christ is the firstborn, then it means He is no longer the only begotten (Roman 8:29, Ephesians 1:6)
- This is a mystery hidden for us, not from us, right from the foundation of the earth.
- The summary is that Christ lives in you and I. Understanding this and living in that reality is only the hope of living a glorious life. We are God possessed .
In Chapter 2
- This mystery is Christ that is already revealed. (In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and Knowledge) John 14:6. Anything outside Christ is a lie. John 8:31, 32, 36
- Don’t be fooled from this singular truth by enticing words. (2 Cor. 11:3)
- The way you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior is the same way you must continue. Not by works. Like anything that is practised daily, you become more proficient and get better results. if we understand this healing, prosperity, deliverance from demonic control will not be difficult.
- Beware, guard yourself, protect your heart from Philosophy, vain deceit, tradition of men, and rudiments of the world. These are the four strategies that the world will use to confuse and render ineffective.
- Imagine the fact that the fullness of mystery of the Godhead is expressed in Christ Jesus when He walked on earth. Then consider the truth that we are complete in Him who is the Head of all principalities and power. Hence we are also head to all Principalities and Power. (Matt.10:19, Mark 16:17-18).
- The circumcision expressed in the Old Testament is of the flesh while that of Christ is of the spirit. The old sin nature has been cut off and replace with the new self or the nature of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17-21). We were buried with Him in death and rose with Him (Ephesians 2:5)
- The record of charges against us was taken away when Christ paid the price and it was nailed to the cross as evidence of the full payment.
- The reality is that Christ by His death, burial and resurrection, destroyed all and any hold of principalities and power over us openly by parading them in triumphant procession.
- The strength of sin is the Old Testament law, so Christ by fulfilling the law released us from the consequences and restrictions of the law… (food, drinks, sabbath, new moon, holy day (Romans 14)). They were shadows and types of Christ who is the reality that now lives in us (Romans10:4).
- Don’t let anyone condemn you or fool you with false humility, or self-denial or worship of angels. Their minds made all these things up.
- The only thing you need to do is to stay connected to Christ
In Chapter 3 and 4
- Understand your true identity and put premium on spiritual things. Be spiritually minded. Romans 8:6, Matt. 6:19-20
- 2 rims of protection round you. In Old Testament there is a hedge (Ecc.10:8, Job 1:10)
- Consciousness of our new identity gives us freedom from sin, not freedom to sin. The reason people sin is they are looking for satisfaction outside God, they are not aware of what they already have just like Eve. Grace actually teaches us to live holy (two incentives: Fear and love. Romans 6 (Dead to sin, who ever you submit to, 1John3:2-3, Hebrew 3:13).
- Put on your new identity by renewing your mind in knowledge. Your spirit is regenerated but your mind needs to be renewed in the image of Christ. Outward change comes when we know the change that has taken place on the inside.
- There is equality in spiritual things. Christ is the same in all of us. Knowledge is what makes the difference. (Anointed man of God, anointed service). Romans 2:11, Act 10:3
- Forgiveness in the pattern of Christ. The offender (Mark 11:24) The offended (Matt. 18:15).
- Be filled with the word. The problem with the modern church is we are filled with the spirit but have low word content
- Admonition to wife, Husband, Fathers, Servants and Masters. Both Servant and Master have the same MASTER, God. Notice that he did not give any special advise to mothers? You may be wondering why.
- Prayer for the Preacher. Preacher need two things, opportunities to
- Teach and Peach the word, to spread the word. Secondly, boldness to
- Declare the counsel of God. Preachers are not motivational speaker
(1 Corinthians 16:8, 1 Thess.5:25, 2 Thess. 3:1)
12. No man is an island. Appreciation for fellow workers is key.
Full teachings by Revd Dr. Femi Idowu is available on both YouTube and Facebook @nccstrongnation.